June 27, 2014
Latest Neurology News
- Mother’s Birthplace May Affect Autism Risk in Kids
- Bee-Venom Acupuncture Shows Promise in Parkinson’s
- Group Doctor Visit Benefit Muscle Disorder Patient
- Parents of a Child With Autism Forgo Further Kids
- Study: Similar Outcomes From Combat Head Injuries
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
(HealthDay News) — It can be difficult to capture the attention of a child with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions:
- Avoid shouting instructions at the child.
- Put your hands on the child’s shoulders, kneel down and acknowledge when the child makes eye contact, then provide clear instructions.
- Give instructions one at a time, breaking down a large task into several smaller ones.
- Make frequent eye contact with the child and repeat your instructions.
- For multiple-step instructions, make a checklist that covers everything.
— Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.